Sunday, May 31, 2009

Norton Commons and Iowa

Sorry for the delay (I say that like I have readers)

I ventured down to Louisville a couple weeks ago for the Norton Commons Criterium. It was a good field with my Nuvo boys, Roadhouse and Panther all represented. The race started off pretty quick and the attacks started flying. I did my best to remain patient. Went a group of 10 or 11 riders formed off the front I decided that something needed to be done. I went to the front initially to help pull the group back so one of my teammates could get to it. Leibo was in the group but was severely outnumbered and I thought it best to try to get someone else up there to help out our stud. However, after getting to the front I realized that I had rolled off the front of the group and therefore decided to go ahead and bridge the gap which was no easy task, they were moving!


I made my way to the leaders in about a lap and a half and found that it was not a breakaway but a group of 13 riders who constantly attacked one another, this attacking was the only reason we stayed away and eventually almost lapped the field. Leibo and I were severly outnumbered but covered the moves and were riding well. Before I knew it we were on the last lap and it was fast and furious. I was second wheel going into the last two corners. I was trying to cover an attack by John Eisenger who attacked going into the second to last corner and had opened up quite a gap. Going into the last corner I heard a wreck and unfortunately it was Leibo who was sitting behind me. This gapped the field and I was attempting to run down Eisenger who still had 30 yards. I was sprinting as hard as I could and I was gaining fast. As we hit the line Kevin Atkisson from Roadhouse was right there. I had no idea. We all threw our bikes and no one had any idea who had won. After cooling down I discovered that I was second. O so close yet again! They had to go to a photo and even though I was second I think it is still my best ever result and was a nice payday. Here are a couple shots of the finish.



Eisenger took the win, it was so much to be a part of a finish like that!

Iowa was much less exciting and the legs were starting to ask for a needed rest. This is my first season really racing a lot and it is going to take some getting used to so that I can hold onto this form through August.

The long road race on Friday is the only thing worth reporting. I found myself in a break at mile 30 of the 90 mile race. I thought it was pointless and rather dumb until we established quite the gap. Everyone I talked to in the peloton thought we were gone. However, we were caught less that 2 miles from the line and a long day in the saddle was all for not as it turned into a sprinter's paradise. I now understand why people at Le Tour try this suicide missions, I honestly thought it was going to stick. O well I played my card and it didn't work. That's bike racing.

Lastly, I must thank Diamond Dave, Clayton, Vinicky and Tina, for entertaining me through the weekend. I also owe Jon and Kate plus 8 a thanks for being on TV the entire weekend. That show is ridiculous and I do not blame Jon for cheating on that psychotic bitch. All in all it was a fun weekend and I am still searching for that W with some good races coming up!

No comments: