Monday, June 15, 2009

Race update and a little rant

I will start with the rant to grab some attention

Ok I understand that the Tour de France is the biggest bicycle race in the world and arguably the toughest sporting event ever devised by man. However, last time I checked I lived in the United States, where we happen to speak English and not French. Therefore, I wish to beg race promoters to call the events the Tour OF _________ vs. the Tour de _________. I may just be weird but it really bugs me when people call their race the Tour de ________. And not just one person is guilty. Several race promoters , if not all, are guilty. Here in America....we speak English. I really think that people do not even realize that "de" means of. Just something to think about.

On the other hand I have also been racing. On Saturday I raced the Tour de Olmstead. It was the most fun I have ever had on a race course. With a gradual, twisting, uphill and an awesome technical descent the course at Iroquois Park in Louisville was incredible. The race started normally with the usual attacks. It worked out that I found myself off the front with the always present Kevin Atkisson from Roadhouse and Juan Pablo from the Aerocat team. Our break was very close to being caught. I attacked on the last hill of the course but could not stay away with Atkisson and Juan Pablo dueling it out in the sprint, with Pablo taking the W. I thought I had comfortably taken third only to hear someone yell my name and turn around and see the hard charging peloton. I threw down my mediocre sprint and held on for third. Another nice result but not that coveted "W",it will come though I am confident of that.

The next day was a crit in Richmond. The field was very small and dominated by Roadhouse and the Aerocat professional team. I found myself in a break of nine with 3 of each of the above teams represented. I followed as many moves as I could until the legs gave out. We eventually lapped the field and John Grant of Roadhouse and Emile of Aerocat slipped off of the front. I ended up sixth, another good result. I want to thank Atkisson from Roadhouse and Emile from Aerocat for their advice after the race. I am relatively new at this and any help is greatly appreciated. I am going to keep going and get my "vee" before this season wraps up....so everyone better be on the look out!

2 comments:

AH said...

Good work, man! I'm having a$$-loads of fun racing with you this year.

Erik Hamilton said...

thanks man, I am having more fun racing than I ever have