Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunny King Criterium and Alabama

I headed down to Alabama on Thursday for a little weekend get away after my last day of undergraduate classes. I came down to visit my friend Curtis and the hospitality has been incredible. I decided to do the Sunny King Criterium, and NRC crit. I did the 2/3 race instead of lining up with the big boys in the pro 1/2 because of the lack of riding this week and the sickness. I stayed up front all day and tried unsuccessfully to establish a break from the gun. When I decided that it was not going to work I sat in for the next 30 minutes and recovered after taking down a preme. With 6 to go I moved up to 3rd and 4th wheel and started covering moves to hold my position. I was feeling great and was 4th going into the second to last corner. Then someone dove the corner in front of me freaked out and locked up his breaks. (you did not need to break for any of the 4 corners) This cost me 15 spots. Then on the last slightly uphill sprint from about 25 deep I decided to sprint anyway. It felt like a great sprint for me at least and I was running people down; however, I ran out of road and crossed in 14th. It was extremely frustrating because I was not sitting in bad position. It was some sketchy kid who still has a lot of learning to do who did not show his face anywhere near the front until 2 corners to go and possibly cost me the race. I know it is bike racing but seriously if you can not corner stay out of the way, he is just lucky he did not cause a pile up. And do not worry I let him know exactly how I felt after the race (along with a couple others).

All in all it has been a great weekend and exactly what I needed. I am heading back to Bloomington and hopefully seeing some fellow grads while I keep on keepin on.

No comments: