Monday, April 4, 2011

First Weekend in the books

Saturday was my first race of the year, Hillsboro Roubaix. This race is always big with 100+ riders. It was my first race with Panther p/b Competitive Cyclist. I met up with guys (for the first time) and we hit the line. The attacks went from the gun and usually the first break does not go. This was not the case as the early move looked dangerous. I tried to get across to it and was chased down. After a couple more attempts both Greg and Ryan A. got into the move and it was gone. I spent the rest of the race trying to cover chase attempts and stay on the right side of the split. We came into the last lap and there were only about 20 of us in the lead group. I was pretty tired and just wanted to roll in when somebody decided to t-bone me in the second to last corner with 1/2 mile left. This sent my wheel into my frame as he hit me so hard as to knock the the wheel out of the dropout. I believe the frame is ok but the force of the impact and wheel hitting my frame took off the paint down to the carbon on both chain stays. I will be really upset if this stupid incident did more than cosmetic damage to my sweet new Canyon bike. It was not the best way to end a successful day but that is bike racing, I guess.
Back to the racing! With both Ryan and Greg in the break I liked our chances. Ryan ended up second with Greg third. Not a bad start to the season, not to mention that is was our first time racing together! I know the results will continue to rock as we get more familiar with each other and how we all race.

On Sunday I ventured to Ohio to do Hueston Woods with Ryan A. and Andy Clarke. The field was fairly small so we wanted to get one of us into the winning move, and when satisfied with it, shut down the field. Andy and myself tried a few times to get off of the front but once again it was Ryan getting into the break with a guy from XXX racing and someone from RGF. Ryan put in plenty of breakaway miles this weekend. Once the break was safely away I decided it was time to whittle down the field and started attacking and slowly but surely got it down to myself and 3 other guys. I was with Tyler from the Hincapie Development team and two guys who refused to work and just sat on. After all the work I ended up 6th on the day. Nothing too great but I will take it for the first races of the season. Ryan took 2nd again, so it was another good day for the team.



Pics courtesy of Jeffrey Jakucyk
I cannot wait to get into the thick of the season with the team. I am confident we are going to do some big things this year and I am glad to be a part of this team.

1 comment:

the MICHIGANSCENE said...

people refusing to work suck!

welcome to the midwest, come up to Miscene and you would really hate the lazy ..