Monday, October 4, 2010

And We're Off!

Well cross season is officially in full swing. I have raced a few times since Kings CX with mixed results. (to see awesome photos check out shrugsmugs.blogspot.com). I ventured up to Madison, WI for the Planet Bike Cup, the first round of the USGP. These were my first UCI races and I now fully understand why these guys are the best. I got a lousy start both days (59 out of about 65) but moved up to finish 38th the first day and 39th the second day. It was about what I expected, but I would like to get a top 25 in a UCI race before the season is up. I have 4 chances left with the Cincy UCI weekend(the Friday race is presented by Panther-my road team for next year! http://www.podiuminsight.com/2010/09/16/ride-fast-its-a-panther-stampede/) coming up and the Louisville round of the USGP.

In other news (photos by Caitlin coming soon!) round 2 of the OVCX series was yesterday and I was privileged enough to get a front row seat at the Ryan Knapp cyclocross clinic. He obviously won. Kersting was second and Andrew Dillman and I battled for third all day. He eventually won. This kid is a stud! He is 16, remember his name he is going to do cool things. I need to minimize technical mistakes. It is a relatively short but very intense season and I still aspire to win the overall. It is definitely going to be a battle though. I am currently 2nd overall and will probably drop to 5 or 6 after the Cincy UCI weekend because most of the guys are doing all 3 days while I can only do the last 2. I am not too worried about it. Blooomingcross is the following weekend with a clinic by the awesome Barry Wicks on the Saturday before! Come check it out.

4 comments:

RJ said...

maybe you'll have a better chance of beating that 16 year old if you wear Sperry's to 'cross races

Osterman said...

I didn't read a word of this.

adamrodkey said...

Dillman's real deal fast. Here are a couple of my observations of him from last year though: he's a bad/slow starter and has to work his way up, even from a front row start. He's not a great technical rider. I would gap him in most tech stuff and he would catch pedaling.
Also having raced road w/ him too, he (and all the Red Zone kids, and most Jr's for that matter) WON'T work. Be aware.

Unknown said...

Love the blog, at least then I can find out how you did on your race :)) Nice riding and writing though!!