Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Big Crit season

Since getting my upgrade I have done 3 rather large races: The Chicago Crit and the Tour of Elk Grove. I have yet to do a Pro/1 event but they have been learning experiences nonetheless. The legs feel fine in these things I just have trouble maintaining my position. I am just not a big enough ass. I need to be more assertive and take more risks. I will just have to turn the brain off especially in the last couple laps of these things.

The Chicago Crit was a good time racing in Downtown. There is no result to write home about but it was awesome because of the company. She even took some post race photos. Also Caroline made me lunch which was awesome!



Tour of Elk Grove went better. However, I wimped out a little in the final sprint and ended up 30 something. I moved up towards the end but should have fought harder for wheels towards the end. A learning experience for sure.
Sunday was much better. I went for a prime and was caught just before the line. However, there was a split in the field with only 17 guys off the front. ( It later ballooned to 28). I rode aggressively and tried to make another move, since I knew the field would split again. I managed to stay in the money and ended up 21st. I could have played it smarter but would rather fight for it and end up 21st than play it safe and still not come away with a decent result. I am glad I made the split, it was a bit of a confidence boost. I am looking forward to the rest of the year especially the Marion Crit. Summer is winding down and I desperately want to continue to get some results and end the year on a high note.

No comments: